Lundin Golf Club
St Andrews, Scotland
Ludin Golf Club overview
Located just 25 minutes south of St Andrews on the east coast of Scotland, Lundin Golf Club was founded in 1868 with the classic out-and-back links designed by Old Tom Morris.
The course was shared with Leven and as the game grew in popularity this arrangement became untenable, so in 1909 it was divided in two with each club taking nine holes on their respective sides of Mile Dyke.
New land was acquired and James Braid brought in to create a new 18-hole layout that incorporated the original nine. Not much has changed since, with Lundin now regarded as one of the finest links courses in Scotland. The clubhouse is pretty special too and was awarded ‘Golf Clubhouse of the Year’ in 2008 by Golf Monthly magazine.
Lundin Golf Course overview
Lundin offers near-perfect authentic Scottish links that is known for its excellent greens. Although relatively short by modern standards at close to 6400 yards off the back tees, there is complexity at Lundin with open burns, blind drives, strategic bunkering, and internal out of bounds (the old railway line).
The fairways are narrow and there are a number of demanding par 4s, with the first four holes running right along the beach, which is a great way to start. Lundin is a regular Open Championship Final Qualifying course and consistently ranked amongst Scotland’s top 35 courses.
The par-3 14th hole was named ‘Perfection’ by James Braid for a good reason. There are spectacular views across Largo Bay from the elevated tee down to a very well protected green 177 yards away that is surrounded by bunkers.
Did You Know?
Annually the Leven and Lundin Clubs recreate the ‘Macdonald Trophy’ Course, playing over the same ground of the original 18-hole course from 1868.
Accommodation near Lundin Golf Club
The Ardgowan in St Andrews is a 36-room family-run, 3-star hotel in the center of town. A popular spot for golfers, this hotel is just a short walk from the 1st tee of the famed Old Course.