Discover unparalleled scenery & the wonders of golf in South Africa
If you’re looking to add variety to your next trip, then nowhere else in the world can rival a South African golf holiday. Each destination provides something completely unique from one another and there is a myriad of activities you can combine with your golf.
So, whether you’re after a vineyard tour just outside of Cape Town, a trip to see the Big Five on safari, or a countryside escape in the Garden Route, then the Rainbow Nation can offer all of this and more!
Why book a golf holiday to South Africa?
- Stay in stunning five-star golf resorts & boutique hotels
- Play world-renowned courses in incredible natural beauty
- Dovetail safari with your trip & experience the Big Five
- Indulge in great cuisine & vineyard tours in the Cape Winelands
- Combine multiple destinations for the holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic variety, from Cape Town to the Garden Route
Popular golf holidays in South Africa
Is South Africa good for golf?
Golf in South Africa has grown in popularity in recent years thanks to its impressive display of first-class golf courses, five-star resorts, and long list of things to do off the course. What’s more, with a great climate throughout the year and each destination providing something new and different, a golf holiday to South Africa offers great choice and flexibility.
Several celebrity architects have contributed to South Africa’s rise in recent years. Rainbow Nation native and nine-time Major winner, Gary Player, boasts two of the country’s best courses in Fancourt Links Course and the Gary Player Golf & Country Club at Sun City.
The Golden Bear, Jack Nicklaus, has also played an important role in the South African golf scene, with both Pearl Valley and Simola Golf Course to his name.
Some more of South Africa’s best golf courses include:
- Fancourt Links Course - Presenting the hallmarks of a classic Gary Player design, this course incorporates the natural landscape into its layout. You're guaranteed a unique and memorable experience.
- Arabella Golf Course – Arabella is idyllically located on the Bot River Lagoon and offers incredible views on the back stretch of the front 9.
- Gary Player Golf & Country Club – Play the stunning course which is ranked as one of the most prestigious courses in Africa and home to the annual Nedbank Golf Challenge on the DP World Tour.
- Pearl Valley – Host of the 2009 South African Open, this beautiful course designed by Jack Nicklaus combines natural beauty with strategic design.
- Simola Golf Course – Built within two natural amphitheatres and offering breathtaking views of Knysna Lagoon, this championship layout was designed to appeal to both experienced, average, and beginner golfers.
- Durban Country Club – Overlooking the Blue Lagoon Estuary, this venue is steeped in history and tradition which echos in the classic layout.
- Humewood – Nestled in the Garden Route, this authentic links course is excellent for golfers of all skill levels with the 13th hole voted as one of the best in the world.
Browse our luxury golf tours for the ultimate trip
If you simply can’t choose one region over another, or if you’re in the market for a road trip to explore the best destinations in South Africa, then a luxury golf tour is a brilliant option.
Beyond experiencing numerous world-class golf courses all in one holiday, you will also soak up rich cultural experiences and partake in multiple unique excursions as part of your package. From safaris to wine tasting, there’s plenty to keep you entertained in-between rounds. Our Travel Specialists are also on hand to customise your package and truly perfect your once-in-a-lifetime trip.
Some of the best golf tours in South Africa include:
- Rovos Rail Golf Collage Tour – Enjoy 12 nights all-inclusive aboard the iconic Rovos Rail train. Travel from Pretoria to Cape Town (or vice versa) playing a selection of the best courses in South Africa along the way.
- Premium Garden Route Golf Tour – Explore the phenomenal scenery the Garden Route offers & play 10 rounds of golf. Spend your time off the course exploring Robben Island or even going whale watching.
- Western Cape Golf & Safari Tour – Starting your journey in Cape Town, you will travel along the coast to George playing some extraordinary courses along the way. You'll also spend a night in the phenomenal Gondwana Game Lodge.
- Cape Town & Winelands Golf Tour – Take a bucket-list trip to Stellenbosch & Cape Town staying in stunning 4 or 5-star venues. A wine tour in Stellenbosch is also highly recommended when passing through the Cape Winelands.
- Rovos Golf Safari Tour – Travel in style with Rovos Rail & play prestigious courses such as Leopard Creek. In your all-inclusive package, you'll also enjoy exciting activities, such as themed dinners and game drives.
Explore by map
Not sure where to play? Browse our map and find your ideal destination in a continent of possibilities. We know you will be spoiled for choice! Remember our knowledgeable golf experts are ready to answer any questions.
Watch the sun set on opulent wine estates
With the area being home to more than 150 wine farms and surrounded by beautiful mountains, golfers are spoilt for choice when it comes to hotels, resorts, golf & wine tasting.
For those travelling to the capital city of Cape Town, there are numerous hotels available, all of which provide exceptional service and quality. From coastal retreats such as Table Bay and The Commodore, to luxurious resorts such as Arabella, there is a package option to suit everyone.
If you’re considering a trip to the Garden Route, then you won’t be disappointed by the impressive hotels in the area. The likes of Fancourt and Simola remain a popular choice for Golfbreaks customers, and for good reason. Excellent facilities and golf on your doorstep is just the tip of the iceberg.
Another region in South Africa that is fantastic for a golf holiday is Sun City. Presenting five-star venues such as Palace of the Lost City and The Cascades Hotel alongside numerous well-known golf courses, this is a great destination for a South Africa golf holiday.
If you’re wanting to experience all of the above, then a golf tour via Rovos Rail is simply unmatched.
Some more of the best hotels & resorts in South Africa include:
- Fancourt Hotel & Golf Estate – With three on-site courses and a modern yet homely aesthetic, this resort is nothing short of stunning.
- Arabella Hotel, Golf & Spa – This charming 5-star venue offers a variety of rooms from deluxe to presidential suites, as well as an award-winning spa.
- Simola Golf & Country Estate – A unique hotel that boasts a cigar bar with Cuban cigars as well as a course designed by the legend that is Jack Nicklaus.
- Palace of the Lost City – With Aztec décor and incredible views of the surrounding jungle, it’s no wonder this venue is a popular choice.
- The Commodore Hotel – This elegant hotel presents views across the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Table Mountain, the Harbour, and the Atlantic Ocean.
- The Cascades Hotel – A grand hotel which is great for entertainment. Ejoy the on-site casino, take a safari trip, or test out the spa facilities.
- The Table Bay Hotel – Opened in 1997 by Nelson Mandela, you’ll be captivated by the sophisticated décor and breathtaking mountain scenery of Table Bay Hotel.
- Oubaai Golf Resort & Spa – A luxurious 5-star oasis set in a tranquil setting near stunning beaches and nature reserves.
"With its breathtaking landscapes, world-class golf courses, and vibrant culture, South Africa offers an unrivalled experience for golf enthusiasts. For the ultimate trip, I can't recommend a golf tour enough. They are the perfect way to play bucket-list courses, explore multiple destinations, and soak up the culture with fun activities."
Off the course activities
Ranked as one of the world's top holiday destinations, this beautiful country offers many activities to keep you entertained when you’re not on the fairways perfecting your swing.
There are many things to do in Cape Town, the Garden Route, and Sun City. Experience a must-see historic Cape Town city tour which includes Kirstenbosch botanical gardens and a cable car ride to the top of Table Mountain, with breathtaking views of Table Bay and Robben Island. If you’re staying and playing in Durban, spend some time surfing or playing golf in Durban, head to Hermanus for whale watching, or visit the characterful fishing villages on the West Coast.
Immerse yourself in the history of Johannesburg, the 'city of golf' and home to some rather famous attractions. Take a trip on Rovos Rail or travel to Kruger Park for a safari and stay and play at spectacular Sun City! Enjoy authentic boma-style South African cuisine, bush breakfasts, barbeques and sundowners at scenic spots.
Wine lovers can explore the Stellenbosch and Franschoek Winelands, home to some of the world’s finest vineyards.
Discover the best guides & activities for your South Africa golf holiday:
Frequently asked questions
Why book with us?
- The Official Golf Tourism Operator of the PGA TOUR with over 25 years of experience.