Enniscrone Golf Club
Enniscrone Golf Club overview
Located on Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way about an hour west of Sligo, Enniscrone is situated on a headland which juts out into Killala Bay at the mouth of the Moy Estuary. This is a magical setting with the beautiful Scurmore Beach bordering the links, and mountains to the east and west.
1918 marked the formal beginning of golf at Enniscrone initially as a 9-hole layout, and it wasn’t until 1974 that the full 18 holes opened after four years of development by the great course designer, Eddie Hackett.
A new clubhouse was built in 1989 and in 2001 Donald Steel completed a rerouting of the course directly into the dunes as well as adding a further 9 holes. Today Enniscrone is a formidable 27-hole links complex with the main 18 fittingly called the Dunes.
Enniscrone Golf Course overview
After the great work of Eddie Hackett and then Donald Steel, the links at Enniscrone now plots its way through gigantic dunes. There are large undulation changes, blind spots, deep fescue and panoramic views of the North Atlantic Ocean from elevated tee boxes.
Not only is it breath-taking but also a formidable challenge measuring over 7000 yards and a par-73 off the tips. Consistently ranked amongst Ireland’s top 15 courses and top 70 in the British Isles.
The par-5 16th hole measures 545 yards and is framed on both sides by magnificent dunes, giving you a sense of seclusion and grandeur. Tough but straight forward, keeping the ball on the fairway is a must to give yourself the best chance of hitting the wide but very shallow green in the right spot.
Did You Know?
The nine-hole course at Enniscrone is called the Scurmore, measuring just over 3000 yards and a par-35.
Accommodation near Enniscrone Golf Club
Mount Falcon Estate
Mount Falcon Estate is a majestic 1876 manor house situated in 100-acres of beautiful woodland along the banks of the River Moy, with easy access to Enniscrone, Carne and County Sligo courses.
The Glasshouse Hotel
The only 4-star hotel in Sligo, shaped like a glass ship that towers dramatically over the Garavogue River below. Has a cutting-edge modern feel with 116 bedrooms and onsite restaurant/bars.