Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club
Liverpool & Southport, England
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club overview
A challenging championship links course with excellent facilities, S&A – as it is called by the locals, was formed in 1906 and built by George Lowe, as part of the United Kingdom golf boom at the start of the 20th century. Over the years changes to the course have occurred, namely by James Braid but the traditional feel of the place has been retained.
S&A has hosted two Ryder Cups in 1933 and 1937 and many other important events including The Ladies Open Championship and The British Amateur as well as currently being a Final Qualifying location for The Open.
An impressive clubhouse gives a wonderful setting for relaxing after a round, with the main lounge and patio providing great views across the course, including the 18th green and 1st tee.
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Course overview
Southport & Ainsdale is an excellent test of links golf, laid out on a wonderfully natural piece of land. Played as two loops of 9 as opposed to the more traditional ‘out-and-back’ links courses, this George Lowe design opened for play in 1907 but is best known for the redesign work done by James Braid in 1924.
Set in amongst the heather and dunes, the par-72 measures over 6800-yards from the back tees but can be reduced to 6300-yards from the regular tees. Fairways often thread through valleys and dunes, requiring accuracy off the tee followed by good approach shots to firm greens on raised plateaus.
Without a doubt the par-5, 16th is the signature hole. At 506-yards and often playing into the prevailing wind, it can be a brute of a hole and is best known for a huge bunker that splits the fairway and should be avoided at all costs.
Did You Know?
The 1937 Ryder Cup matches hosted by Southport & Ainsdale heralded the first win on British soil for the Americans, winning 8-4 with Ben Hogan the US team captain.