Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club
Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club overview
Royal Cinque Ports (also known as Deal) was founded in 1892 and 15 weeks later the first 9 holes opened for play, with a full 18 completed by 1898. Its Royal title came in 1910 which coincided with the election of King George V as patron, and then sadly the links were pretty much destroyed during World War 1. After an excellent restoration job by James Braid, the course reopened in 1919, only for this whole process to be repeated due to World War 2, with Sir Guy Campbell (aided by Henry Cotton) nursing the original layout back to good health this time.
The first Open Championship was awarded to Deal in 1909 and then again in 1920, with two further attempts in 1938 and 1949 thwarted by abnormally high tides resulting in the course being submerged. Today Deal is an Open Championship Final Qualifying course and hosts several amateur events, including the Halford Hewitt which is the championships for Britain’s private schools and considered the world’s largest true amateur golf event.
The 496-yard par-4 16th is the best hole on the course and included as one of Henry Cotton’s ‘Eighteen best holes in England’. A big drive is required to carry the cross bunker and set up a go at the green, which is small, undulating and elevated. A par will feel like a birdie.
Did You Know?
When the Open Championship had to be moved from Deal due to abnormally high sea levels in 1938 and 1949, the defending champion on both occasions was Henry Cotton.