Your Florida guide
No matter what you're after Florida will have it covered. World class cuisine, art galleries, or something more active our handy guide will tell you the best places to visit.
Fly from the UK with Virgin Atlantic Airways, Airfrance or British Airways in just over 9 hours if flying directly. Flights with one-stop are around 11-12 hours. If you fly with British Airways you'll receive a free golf club carriage.
When to go
The best time to go to Orlando is between March and May when temperatures are high. The weather is overall quite pleasant and flight prices are fair and agreeable.
Winter weather is typically mild and dry with daytime highs around 21 deg C from December to February, but can drop and become chilly and wet occasionally; temperatures in June to Sept temperatures rise to 32° C. Orlando is the ‘Sunshine State’, so make sure you have plenty of sunscreen, hats and sunglasses, and stay hydrated. It is worth remembering however, Orlando has a subtropical climate and the weather can be unpredictable. Expect sunshine and warm temperatures but remember that afternoon rain is common during summer, from May to October.
Orlando activities, beaches and more
The resort boasts two water parks and four theme parks, including Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. Epcot, an exposition-style park is a future world showcase theme park, with an around-the-world experience that gives visitors a chance to experience a little of different cultures. Universal Orlando offers Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, as well as the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
Orlando also boasts some spectacular waterparks including Seaworld, an aquatic theme park and the popular Discovery Cove. Volcano Bay and Typhoon Lagoon are heated and stay open year-round. About an hour’s drive away is the Kennedy Space Centre Visitor Complex which is excellent for a day trip and is suitable for adventurers of all ages.
About an hour from Orlando you will find the closest beaches - Cocoa Beach, Canaveral National Seashore and Daytona Beach. Florida’s beautiful west coast beaches, including St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beach and Tarpon Springs, are around 2 hours from Orlando.
We recommend dining on the famous Restaurant Row - this 1-mile stretch offers around two-dozen restaurants, from upscale fine dining to casual family-friendly options.
Escape to Tampa
What to do in Tampa:
- Visit the Florida Aquarium with over 20,000 aquatic animals and plants, or head to the Glazer Children’s Museum with its hands-on exhibits for children under 12;
- Busch Gardens is an exotic African-themed amusement park with thrill rides and animal-viewing areas
- Bike, run and discover the Tampa Riverwalk along the stunning Hillsborough River
- Experience nature as you zipline, kayak, tackle an outdoor adventure such as paddle boarding, or head for a hike.
Experience the outdoors in Jacksonville
What to do in Jacksonville:
- Visit Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
- Go Swimming and surfing at Jackson Beach and Neptune Beach
- Do a Catty Shack Ranch tour
- Discover 4-hours of deep-sea fishing
- Visit the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens
- Explore the Little Talbot Island and Big Talbot Island
Discover the sophisticated dining and high-end shops of Naples
What to do in Naples:
- Visit the Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens
- Explore the Naples Botanical Gardens
- Explore Baker Museum
- Enjoy some High-end-shopping
- Discover Marco Island
Relax on the golden beaches of Miami
What to do in Miami:
- Tour some of Miami’s historic buildings
- Visit Miami Seaquarium
- Cruise along ‘Millionaires Row’
- Explore Everglades Safari Park
- Walk around Pérez Art Museum Miami
- Frost Science museum
- Many resorts and hotels in Florida will have complimentary round-trip shuttle services to and from the airport.
- A good time to visit is during autumn when the summer holiday crowds have died down and the weather is cooler. This is also when the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival and Magic Kingdom Halloween Party takes place.
- The ride queues for themes parks are much shorter in the evening when its cooler and the spectacular night parades and fireworks take place!
- The current state sales tax rate in Florida is 6%.
- Remember to visit Daytona or Clearwater beach for some relaxation, as the parks can be tiring.
- Tipping: At full-service restaurants throughout the US, tipping is customary at 15 to 20 per cent.
Golf Vacation Specialist
Golf Vacation Specialist, I advise clients on golf courses and accommodation options for our US and overseas trips